Here are a few tips for preventing storm water pollution from your home:
- Never pour household products such as cleansers, beauty products, medicine, used motor oil and other auto fluids, paint, lawn care, or household chemicals on the ground or in a storm drain.
- Don’t pour any of the products listed above down the sink or flush them down the toilet.
- Try using non-toxic alternatives to home cleaning chemicals.
- Don’t buy more household cleaner or other chemicals than you need for a particular job.
- Read and follow directions on the use of household chemicals and disposal of containers.
- Sweep driveways and patios clean instead of hosing them down.
- Check for leaky faucets and turn off the water when brushing teeth to conserve water.
- Buy products with less packaging whenever possible.