Public Education & Outreach Participation
- Distribute educational materials.
- Conduct outreach activities about the impacts of storm water discharges on water bodies and the steps that the public can take to reduce pollutants in storm water runoff.
Public Involvement & Participation
- Comply with all State, Tribal and local public notice requirements of permitting activities.
Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination
- Develop a storm sewer system map of all outfalls and the names of all receiving waters.
- Prohibit non-storm water discharges, through an ordinance or other means, and implement appropriate enforcement procedures.
- Implement a plan to detect and address non-storm water discharges.
- Inform public of hazards associated with illegal discharges and improper disposal of waste.
Construction Site Storm Water Runoff Control
- Develop a program to reduce pollutants from construction activities that disturb more than one acre.
- Use an ordinance, or other regulatory means, with penalties, that requires appropriate E&S controls and requirements to control waste.
- Develop procedures for a site plan review, site inspection & enforcement, and public input.
Post-Construction Management in New Developments & Redevelopments
- Develop a program, using an ordinance or other regulatory means, to address runoff from new development and redevelopment projects that disturb more than one acre.
- Implement strategies with a combination of structural and/or non-structural BMPs.
- Ensure adequate long-term operation & maintenance (O&M) of BMPs.
We’re participating in a Consortium of Kansas municipalities that have joined together to ensure that we are doing our best to protect our communities by adhering to the Best Practice Measures outlined in the NPDES program.
We ask you to join us to help prevent pollutants from entering our storm water drainage system. By changing some of our personal habits, we can help maintain the quality of life in our watershed and lessen impacts downstream. Using the appropriate resources to dispose of unwanted materials and products properly, are but one of the ways we can make a difference together.how can I help?